From 1926 to 1963 the Briergate station in Highland Park, Illinois served thousands of commuters and other passengers on the high-speed Skokie Valley Route of the Chicago, North Shore and Milwaukee Railway, a sister interurban line of the Chicago, Aurora and Elgin.
The Briergate station was designed by Samuel Insull's staff-architect, Arthur U. Gerber, who also designed the Villa Park station on the Chicago, Aurora and Elgin. It was one of several identical stations on the North Shore Line's Skokie valley Route, but is the only one still in existence. Although the North Shore had many more stations than the CA&E and lasted longer, only three stations currently survive. It's continued existence was due to use as a commercial establishment, however the current business housed within has moved and has placed it for sale. The Highland Park Preservation Commission has stated that this historic structure will likely be demolished for redevelopment.
In response to this situation, the North Shore Line Preservation Association was established to prevent this. Find out how to help at the group's Facebook page.
Don Bosan-Bruno: GreatThirdRail.org administrator