The new dispatcher’s tower, built in the 1920’s, was on top of the engineering department. The building was located north of the tracks and provided clear sightlines to the main line, Aurora branch, the yard and shops complex and the Elgin branch. A two car train composed of a Pullman and a Cincinnati passes the structure on March 28, 1957.

Photo by P. Stringham, from the collection of Cliff Scholes

Dispatcher’s Tower


Full tower profile and history coming soon.

Additional Photos


When the new dispatcher’s tower was built, the old one was left standing. Both remained until the railroad was scrapped. The original tower, at left, has been painted to match the rolling stock.

Photo from the collection of Robert Leffingwell